The village of McLeodGanj, lying in the upper reaches, is known worldwide for the presence of the Dalai Lama. On 29 April 1959, the 14th Dalai Lama (Tenzin Gyatso) established the Tibetan exile administration in the north Indian hill station of Mussoorie. In May 1960, the Central Tibetan Administration (CTA) was moved to Dharamshala. One of the main attractions of Dharamshala is Triund hill. Jewel of Dharamshala, Triund is one day trek at the upper reaches of McLeodGanj, about 9 km from McLeodGanj.
the Gurkhas of Dharmshala make a major contribution to India's defence the late Master Mitrasen Thapa, from the village of Totarani, has been acknowledged by the Himachal Pradesh government. Recently, a park dedicated to the memory of the late Brigadier Sher Jung Thapa, MVC, the 'Hero of Skardu', has been opened alongside the road between Lower and Upper Dharamshala.
Dharamshala Cricket Stadium (DCS) is a cricket stadium of international reputation,
Jama Masjid Dharamshala . Built in 1719 near old bus stand, opposite Hotel Dhauladhar.
Swami Chinmaya Ashram
This ashram is special as this is also Swami Chinmayananda's last resting-place, who attained 'Mahasamadhi' in August 1993 . Today this Himalayan Ashram in Dharamsala is famous for the Vedic Teachings of this great saint !
Kunal Pathri Temple: This temple is dedicated to Goddess Kalpeshwari and is 3 km from the Kotwali Bazaar. It's believed that a part of Goddess Sati's skull fell here when Lord Shiva was carrying the charred body of the Goddess; hence the name of the temple.
Kangra Museum: Situated close to the bus stand, Kangra Art Museum is a unique museum displaying the artifacts of Tibetan and Buddhist cultures.
Bhagsu Waterfall: This waterfall is in Bhagsu, 2 km from McLeodGanj. It lies behind the BhagsunathTemple. During Monsoon, the fall turns into a 30 feet cascade.
Bhagsunag Temple: Temple of god Shiva situated around 2 km from McLeodGanj Bazaar. Constructed by 1 GR by around 1800 century and then worshipped majorly by 14 Gukha platoon villages Dharamsha
St. John in the Wilderness
is an Anglican church dedicated to John the Baptist built in 1852, located near Dharamshala, on the way to McLeodGanj, at Forsyth Gunj , known for its Belgian stained-glass windows donated by Lady Elgin.
It was rebuilt near the residence of His Holiness the Dalai Lama
Naddi: This scenic picnic spot is located 5 km northwest of McLeodGanj. Naddi offers a spectacular view of the Kangra valley. You can trek to Kareri Lake, Triund, and Guna Devi from here. It's becoming a popular destination for nature lovers.
Kareri lake remains frozen from early December to March-April. There is a temple dedicated to Lord Shiva and Shakti on a hilltop overlooking the lake.. Kareri Lake is named after the nearby gaddi village of Kareri, situated 9 km south east of the lake. Kareri Lake serves as a base for trekking further into the Dhauladhar and onward to Chamba and Bharmour
Dal Lake: The Lake is spread in an area of 1 km and is bounded by rhododendrons, deodars, and junipers forest. Annually, a fair is held at the Kali Temple near the Lake. There is another temple close to the lake that is dedicated to sage Durvasa. Dal Lake is 2 km walk westwards from McLeodGanj bazaar.
Masrur (or Masroor): The major attraction of this place is the fifteen exquisitely carved monolithic rock temples dating back to 8th century. The carvings of these temples are similar to Kailash temple at Ellora. In the sanctum of the main temple, one can find images of Lord Ram, and the Goddesses Sita and Lakshmi. Masrur is 15 km south of Kangra,